The health and safety of our community is our top priority. The City Bar’s building is currently open five days a week, from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., and in-person programs, CLEs, events and in-person committee meetings are starting to resume. All visitors, including City Bar members, are required to be vaccinated (see below) and accordingly masks are not required in the building.
This page is intended to serve as a hub to inform City Bar members and the public about access to the building, as well as City Bar activities and other helpful resources during the pandemic.
Many City Bar staff continue to work remotely. The City Bar’s 150 committees are busier than ever, holding committee meetings electronically, researching and writing reports and statements (click Reports tab on the left), and organizing online programs and CLEs (click Events tab on the left).
Scroll down to read about our current visitor policies, pro bono work, legal referral service, small law firm center, highlights of COVID-19 related court directives and executive orders, and more.
VISITOR AND VACCINATION POLICY
- The City Bar's building is open five days a week, from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- As part of New York City’s Key to NYC program, all visitors to the New York City Bar are required to show proof of vaccination and personal identification immediately upon entering the building. Click here to learn more.
- Appointments for Library browsing are no longer required, but members may call ahead if they do not wish to wait for a workstation.
- Small Law Firm Members: To make reservations to use conference rooms, please contact the Customer Relations Department by phone at 212-382-6663 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visitors who display any flu-like symptoms will be directed to leave the building immediately. If a vistor feels ill at any point during a visit, they should notify the Director of Building Operations, Bob Huber, at email@example.com.
While we are hopeful and optimistic about the progress made thus far in the pandemic, we will continue to carefully monitor public health guidance and implement policies that prioritize everyone's safety and health.
City Bar Justice Center Resources
We are updating our roster of On-Demand CLE programs, creating new, timely CLE programming to be delivered via live webinars. Effective September 7, we will be reintroducing a limited selection of live programs and CLE in-person.
The City Bar’s Lawyer Assistance Program is a free, confidential service for attorneys, judges, law students and their family members in New York City who are struggling with alcohol or drug use, depression, anxiety and stress, as well as other addictions and mental health issues, remains available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 212-302-5787.
The Legal Referral Service is fully operational with all attorney referral counselors and participating lawyers working remotely. The call is free and, if referred, the initial virtual or phone consultation will be free and will last for up to 30 minutes. Call 212-626-7373 (212-626-7374 en español) or submit a lawyer referral request online.
LRS Legal Resources:
To serve the legal community, the library’s member online services will continue to be available, as will Fastcase, the online legal research platform that is free for its members. The Library hours are 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.
The Small Law Firm Center continues to produce specialized programming on effective client relations, business development, marketing and more. It has launched remote bi-monthly chats where solo and small-firm practitioners can share best practices and help one another during this period. If you are a solo or small-firm practitioner and would like to be included, please contact Eve Guillergan, Small Law Firm Center Manager.
The Center also provides advice and coaching to solo and small firm members in the area of practice management. Please contact Eve Guillergan for an appointment or any questions.
Customer Relations can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 212-382-6663.
For real-time updates from the New York City Bar Association, please follow us at our social media accounts on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook.