Can I use ADR if I am already in trial, litigation or administrative proceedings?

That depends, but the answer is yes, if the other side is willing.

  • If you have a case already in court, you may want to discuss mediation and other alternative dispute resolution options with your lawyer. If you need help finding a lawyer, you may want to visit CourtHelp or call your local bar association.
  • If you don’t have a lawyer and you are interested in resolving your dispute through mediation, ask court staff for a referral. Free or reduced-fee mediation services may be available in the courthouse where you have a case or through your local Community Dispute Resolutions Program.

City Court

State Court

  • Family – The Collaborative Family Law Center which serves divorcing couples throughout New York City.
    Collaborative Family Law Center
    80 Centre Street, Room 133
    New York, NY

    • Collaborative Family Law is a problem-solving process that gives divorcing parties and their lawyers a way to end a marriage and restructure families without the stress, delay, and expense of litigation.
    • Collaborative family law is founded on three principles:
      • a pledge not to litigate disputes in court;
      • an honest, voluntary, prompt, and good-faith exchange of relevant information without formal discovery; and
      • a commitment to strive for solutions that take into account the highest priorities of both parties and their children.
    • Although the lawyers share a commitment to collaborative law principles, each lawyer has a professional duty to represent his or her own client diligently, and is not the attorney for the other party.
  • Supreme
  • Appellate – Civil Appeals Management Plan (CAMP) conferences – mandatory conferences.

Federal Courts

Yes, the federal government provides general information on ADR: