What information are we collecting and how are we collecting it?
When you order products or services, participate in surveys and other online activities, or apply for a job through NYCBAR websites, we may ask you to provide personal information to complete these transactions. The types of personal information you provide to us on these pages may include contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address; and other unique information such as user IDs and passwords, billing and transaction information, credit card information, product and service preferences, contact preferences, educational and employment background, and job interest data. In addition to the information you provide to us, NYCBAR may also collect information during your visit to the NYCBAR Network through our automatic data collection tools (“Data Collection Tools”), which include cookies, embedded Web links, and other commonly used information-gathering tools. These Data Collection Tools collect certain standard information that your browser sends to our website such as your browser type and language, access times, and the address of the website from which you arrived at the NYCBAR Network. These Data Collection Tools may also collect information about your Internet Protocol (IP) address, clickstream behavior and product information. When a visitor requests a page from any web site within the NYCBAR Network, our web servers automatically recognize that visitor's domain name and IP address. The domain name and IP address reveal nothing personal about you other than the IP address from which you have accessed our site. NYCBAR also collects information from credible third-party commercially available sources. This information may include your name, address, email address and demographic data which may be may be used along with the information NYCBAR collects when you visit the NYCBAR Network.
How does NYCBAR use your information?
NYCBAR may use your information in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Providing goods, programs and services, enrolling you in NYCBAR membership and collecting dues and other payments;
- Providing information to members and others who have participated in, or otherwise expressed in interest in, NYCBAR activities;
- Responding to inquiries;
- Sharing information with certain third parties to provide you with goods and services that may be relevant to City Bar members;
- Providing contact information in the NYCBAR member directory, in the NYCBAR communities and for specific purposes on the website; and
- Conducting surveys. NYCBAR also provides contact information on its website of members who have provided that information, and the contact information is accessible on the password-protected portion of the website designed for members-only access. Members may edit the contact, biographic and demographic information in the NYCBAR database, and each individual member's data is accessible to that member, through use of that member's password.
Credit card information is not used for any purpose other than payment processing and fraud prevention. In addition, credit card information and other sensitive personal information required to process a credit decision is not used for any other purpose by our financial services providers or NYCBAR and will not be kept longer than necessary for providing the services, unless you ask us to retain your credit card information for future purchases.
Will NYCBAR provide links to third-party websites?
What are cookies and how do we use them?
What are embedded web links and how do we use them?
Some emails from NYCBAR may use links designed to lead you to a relevant area on the Web. The redirection system allows NYCBAR to change the destination URL of these links, if necessary, and to determine the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives. In emails, such web links may also allow NYCBAR to determine whether you have clicked a link in an email, and this information about the interaction may be connected to your personal identity. If you do not want NYCBAR to collect information about the links that you click, you can: (1) change your choice about how you receive communications from NYCBAR (i.e. choose a text-based version of the message where available); or (2) choose not to click links in an email that NYCBAR sends.
Will we disclose the information we collect to outside third parties?
(1) NYCBAR retains service providers and suppliers to deliver complete products, services and customer solutions and to assist NYCBAR with marketing and communication initiatives. Suppliers and service providers are required to keep confidential the information received on behalf of NYCBAR and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for NYCBAR.
How do I select privacy preferences?
You may opt out of receiving communications from NYCBAR by using one of the following methods:
(1) Select the email "opt out" or "unsubscribe" link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each email communication;
(2) Return to the NYCBAR webpages where you originally registered your preferences and follow the opt-out instructions;
(3) Write to NYCBAR at the address below, or send an email to CustomerService@nycbar.org. Be sure to provide your name, email and postal address, and specific relevant information about the NYCBAR communications that you no longer wish to receive.
Please note that when you opt out of receiving certain communications, it may affect the services you have chosen to receive from NYCBAR where accepting the communications is a condition of receiving the services.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, NYCBAR utilizes appropriate physical, technical and administrative procedures to safeguard the information we collect. NYCBAR uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive information such as credit card information. Credit card numbers are used only for processing payments and are not used for other purposes.
Our postal address is:
New York City Bar Association, attn: Customer Service
42 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036
We can be reached via e-mail here, or you can reach us by telephone at 212-382-6663.