Monday Night Law
What Is Monday Night Law?
Monday Night Law is a community service program providing free consultations with volunteer lawyers. The consultation is a chance for you to discuss questions you may have about a legal issue or process, and an opportunity to have a lawyer help you figure out what to do next.
Which Topics Are Covered By Monday Night Law?
Volunteer lawyers will offer advice related to the following legal topics only:
- Employer and Employee Law
- Divorce, Matrimonial and Family Law
- Consumer Law
- Small Business Matters
How Long Is The Consultation With The Volunteer Lawyer?
The volunteer lawyer will meet with you for up to 30 minutes. Please be on time, and write your questions down in advance in order to ensure that you get the most out of your consultation.
How Much Will Monday Night Law Cost Me?
Nothing – it’s free! There is no charge for making an appointment or meeting with the volunteer lawyer.
How Do I Make an Appointment for Monday Night Law?
- If your legal issue is covered by the program we will make an appointment for you to meet with a volunteer lawyer at the next available Monday Night Law session.
- All appointments are scheduled between 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM in 30-minute time slots. Space is limited.
- Walk-ins are not permitted. You must schedule an appointment in advance.
- Call 212-626-7373 (en español 212-626-7374) to discuss your legal issue with an Attorney Referral Counselor at the New York City Bar Legal Referral Service.
What Should I Bring To The Consultation?
- You should bring any documents that are related to your legal issue, including pictures, notes, leases and rental agreements, contracts, receipts, etc. If you only have original documents or documents that you are afraid of losing, make copies and only bring the copies to the consultation.
- Bring a pad of paper and pen to take notes during the consultation.
What Should I Ask During The Consultation?
You should ask questions such as:
- How serious a problem do I have?
- Are there any deadlines?
- What happens if I miss a deadline?
- What should I do next?
- What will happen if I do nothing?
- How do I settle the issue for good?
- What would you do if you were me?
- Should I hire a lawyer or is this something I can handle myself?
What If I Need Help Beyond The 30-Minute Consultation?
This program is limited to the counseling service offered during your Monday Night Law appointment only. After the session the Monday Night Law volunteer attorney will NOT be able to provide any further legal services or represent you in any ongoing way.
Ask the volunteer lawyer what resources might be able to assist you, especially if you are going to handle your legal issue without the help of a lawyer. If you do want to hire a lawyer to help you, contact the New York City Bar Legal Referral Service by calling 212-626-7373 (en español 212-626-7374). You can also submit an online referral request at www.citybarlegalreferral.org.
Who Sponsors Monday Night Law and What is its Mission?
Monday Night Law is provided by the Committees for Legal Services for Persons of Moderate Means and the Legal Referral Service. The Legal Referral Service is jointly sponsored by the New York City Bar Association and New York County Lawyers’ Association. This program is designed to address the public’s ever-increasing need for affordable and accessible legal guidance and assists nearly 1,000 New Yorkers annually.