The library will be closed on Thursday, November 29. However, the library’s computer work stations will be available that day in the Kaye Room. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Rules of the New York City Bar Library
In order to maintain a welcoming Library at the House of the Association, the New York City Bar requires that in addition to all policies set forth by the Association, visitors comply with the following:
- Bylaws: In accordance with Bylaw XX of the New York City Bar Association “No person who enters the House of the Association shall unreasonably interfere with other persons’ use of the Association, or engage in behavior which is disruptive of the activities of the Association.”
- Guests: Use of the Library is a member benefit. Non-members, who are sponsored by a member of the Association, may purchase daily Library passes. Passes may be obtained at the Library Reference Desk.
- Food: Food is not permitted in the Library.
- Cell phones: Cell phone use is prohibited in the Library except in the Library Lounge.
- Computer Use:
- Members and sponsored guests may not use more than one computer at a time. Please contain your personal belongings within your immediate area so that others may use the adjacent spaces and chairs.
- Members and sponsored guests may not damage or disable any Library equipment, change the hardware, software or settings on a Library computer or use a Library computer for purposes prohibited by the Library.
- If a member is using a Library computer and needs to leave the Library for more than 15 minutes the member must alert Library staff.
- Displaying sexually graphic images on any personal or Library owned electronic device is strictly prohibited, and can result in a variety of sanctions, including removal from the Library.
- Databases: Use of Library databases, including Westlaw, Lexis, Practical Law, Practice Advisor, Hein Online, Bloomberg Law and other databases are reserved for members or sponsored guests who purchase Library passes. Library staff may request that members and sponsored guests who are not conducting research on Westlaw or Lexis-dedicated computers move to another location within the Library to allow others access to those databases.
- Copies: Members and sponsored guests are required to pay for each printed copy made from a computer or other electronic device at the Library Reference Desk.
- Library Books: Library books must be handled with care.
- Library books may not be reserved for more than 24 hours. Library staff will have the right to remove a book on reserve for another member’s use if necessary.
- Members and sponsored guests may not highlight passages in books or leave post-it notes and flags when returning books.
- Use of Library Lounge: Cell phone use is permitted in the Library Lounge. Meetings between members and clients are prohibited in the Library Lounge.
- Personal Items: Personal items must be kept to a minimum.
- Members and sponsored guests may not leave any personal belongings, including but not limited to legal research papers, overnight in the Library. Personal items will be brought to the lost and found area at the Security Desk in the lobby of the building. The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost, stolen, or damaged on Library premises.
- The Library staff and other Association personnel may inspect your property when you enter or exit.
- Hygiene: Patrons may be required to leave the Library if their personal hygiene interferes with the ability of other patrons or staff to use and/or enjoy the facility.
- Photography and Video: Photography and recording by members and guests are not allowed on Library premises without prior written permission of the Association.
- Children: Children must be accompanied at all times.
- The following are NOT ALLOWED and may result in immediate removal:
- Harassing or threatening behavior to other members, guests or staff
- Using obscene or abusive language or gestures
- Making unreasonable noise, including loud talking on a cell phone or otherwise
- Possession of weapons
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes
- Using alcohol or illegal drugs
- Sleeping in the Library
- Soliciting, petitioning, or canvassing
Any person who violates these rules may be subject to removal from the Library and/or the House of the Association. If you have a need for an accommodation, please alert Library staff. We will endeavor to provide a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account your accessibility needs.