Monday, October 29, 2018 | 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
There are thousands of nonprofit organizations in New York City. They include schools, hospitals, cultural institutions, social services agencies, foundations, advocacy groups, and professional associations. Providing counsel to nonprofit organizations requires knowledge and understanding of corporate and tax laws and regulatory regimes that often differ from those applicable to for-profits.
This program is designed to bring those who counsel nonprofits (whether as inside or outside counsel) and board members up to date on the latest issues facing their organizations. Our program will provide an update on the most important developments affecting non-profits over the last year. The program will cover new legislation and regulatory guidance, federal and state enforcement actions, and other recent developments.
Live Program & Webcast: $199 for Members | $299 for Nonmembers
Government/Nonprofit/Academic/Student: Free for Members | $149 for Nonmembers
In-House Counsel: Free for Members | $219 for Nonmembers
Small Law Firm: $99 for Members
Members who are Recent Law Graduates, Newly Admitted Lawyers (earliest admission 2016-2018 in any state or country), or Judges (and their staff) attend this program for free.
Kevin E. Roe
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
New Venture Fund and Arabella Advisors LLC
Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
Hogan Lovells US LLP
6:00 pm – 6:05 pm Introduction
6:05 pm – 6:30 pm Tax Law & IRS Updates Affecting the Nonprofit Sector
- Donor Disclosure Developments
- UBIT Guidance
- SALT Regulations
- Recent Rulings of Interest.
6:30 pm – 7:10 pm Fiscal Sponsorships
- The Basic Legal Structures of Fiscal Sponsorship Arrangements
- How They Can be Used
- Common Challenges
- Effective Practices.
7:10 pm – 7:20 pm Break 7:20 pm – 7:50 pm “Your Purchase Will Benefit Charity.” – Cause Marketing
- Legal Issues
- Regulatory and Charity Watchdog Guidance
- Best Practices for Nonprofits Interested in Participating in “Portion of the Proceeds” Deals
7:50 pm – 8:20 pm Charitable Solicitations in the Internet Age
- Use of Social Media
- Compliance Issues
8:20 pm – 9:00 pm Privacy and Cybersecurity
- How the proliferation of privacy laws globally, including the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation, may impact your organization and how to develop strategies to comply with such laws while enabling reasonable uses of personal data.
- How to prepare for and address cyber security incidents and meet notification obligations while minimizing legal liability for your organization.
NY: 3.0 Professional Practice
NJ: 3.3 general
CA: 3.0 general
PA: 2.5 general
Sponsoring Association Committee: Non-Profit Organizations Committee | Jennifer Reynoso, Chair
Sponsorship Opportunities are Available! Please Contact:
Angie Avila, Membership Outreach and Sponsorships Manager | (212) 382-6608 | firstname.lastname@example.org