Tuesday, December 4, 2018 | 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
In this hands-on workshop, you will learn strategies for writing more efficiently and effectively, including how to organize memos clearly and provide useful roadmaps. We will cover techniques for quickly eliminating common writing weaknesses, including lack of organization, weak paragraph structure and convoluted sentences.
You will learn strategies for drafting:
- Effective Introductions
- Powerful Headings
- Concise, Clear Sentences
This workshop is geared toward junior attorneys but provides a useful review for attorneys at all levels.
Live Program & Webcast: $149 for Members | $249 for Nonmembers
Small Law Firm: $79 for Members
Members who are Recent Law Graduates, Newly Admitted Lawyers (earliest admission 2016-2018 in any state or country), In-House/Corporate Counsel, Judges (and their staff), or attorneys that practice within the Government, Academic or Not-for-Profit sectors attend this program for free.
6:00 pm – 6:35 pm Document organization
- Why are you telling me these things?
- Overall organization
- Connect the reader to your topic and organization
- Start with your conclusion.
- Overall organization: Effective introductions: Show where you are going
- Show how you will get where you are going. Examples. Revised introduction.
6:35 pm – 6:40 pm Templates
- Working order
- Memorandum template and optional sections
6:40 pm – 7:20 pm Paragraph structure
- Topic sentences
- Provide a further map for how to get to the conclusion
- Powerful topic headings and examples
- Use block quotations powerfully
- Legal transitions
- Some currently common errors
7:20 pm – 8:00 pm Efficient memos: From outline to execution
- Matrix outlining
- Example memos and interactive exercises
NY: 2.0 skills
NJ: 2.4 general
CA: 2.0 general
PA: 2.0 general
Sponsorship Opportunities are Available! Please Contact:
Angie Avila, Membership Outreach and Sponsorships Manager | (212) 382-6608 | firstname.lastname@example.org