Hurricane Maria: How You Can Help
For New York lawyers who want to get involved, we offer the following information:
- Donate through the following entities:
- Share information about the local legal aid organizations that are helping on the ground in Puerto Rico such as Ayuda Legal Huracán Maria
- Sign up to assist through the ABA Disaster Legal Services:
Lawyers who are active members of the USVI or Puerto Rico bars are urged to sign up to accept referrals of pro bono cases from the Louisiana Civil Justice Center; AND lawyers who are not licensed in USVI or Puerto Rico can also assist, by providing legal research or assistance with federal/administrative law questions. The volunteer sign up form is online, in English and Spanish, here: ABA Disaster Legal Services Volunteer Attorney Intake Form.
- Check DisasterLegalAid.org for emerging developments in Puerto Rico and other regions.
- In response to the devastation inflicted by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, the Court Families Assistance Fund is accepting donations to assist court employees, judges and their families. Donations will be used to provide Puerto Rican court personnel and their families with immediate financial assistance to help them through this difficult time. The Assistance Fund’s proceeds will be distributed for necessary expenses associated with shelter, food, clothing, and medical care. Find out how you can help by visiting the Assistance Fund online here.
Moving forward, please check back to this page as more information becomes available on how New York lawyers can stay involved in helping post-María.