As part of New York City’s Key to NYC program, all visitors to the New York City Bar (as well as staff in the building) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, and for the latest on how the City Bar is addressing the pandemic, click here.
Part-Time Reference Assistant
POSITION TITLE: Part-Time Reference Assistant
(15-25 hours per week –Flexible Daytime Hours)
POSITION REPORTS TO: Senior Director of the Library
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
The library staff provides New York City Bar members with extensive legal research and assists in formulating strategies in print and digital formats. The staff answers phone inquiries from members and associates of members, including law firm librarians, and provides copies of requested materials for a fee.
Provide members and associates of members with research assistance in finding legal or non-legal material in either print or digital formats. Retrieve and re-shelve books and microfiche from an extensive archival collection. Update catalog records.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Conduct reference interviews to determine the most effective research methods and tools.
- Respond to inquiries from members and law firm librarians about the availability of material in the City Bar’s collection.
- Troubleshoot software and hardware problems for the network of library computers in the reading room.
- Process, maintain and add holdings to the online cataloging system.
- Provide copies of material requested by members and law firm librarians.
- Retrieve and shelf books in the library and basement.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EDUCATION
- Student enrolled in an ALA Accredited Library Science Information Studies program or 2-3 years of experience in an academic or law firm law library. Must be familiar with Lexis, Westlaw and other legal and non-legal databases.
- Able to work effectively with members and all types of individuals.
- Proven ability to multi-task, be detail-oriented and manage priorities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Starting pay rate for this role is in the low $20’s/hour, based on experience.
The City Bar’s policy requires employees to be fully vaccinated before entering the building.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter explaining your interest along with resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Library - Research Assistant in the subject line.
We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. It is the policy of the Organization to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity and sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, we will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons due to their religious beliefs; disability; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; or because the individual was a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking.