The City Bar’s building, library and office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except for scheduled events, programs and meetings.
Job Listing: Marketing & Membership Assistant
POSITION TITLE: Marketing & Membership Assistant
POSITION REPORTS TO: Senior Manager of Membership & Marketing Manager and Senior Director of Membership & Customer Relations
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
The Membership Department administers a database of over 23,000 active members (including 4,000 committee members). The Department is responsible for membership customer relations, email communications, database maintenance, dues installment payment plan, member recruitment, retention and engagement, statistics and reporting, dues billing and follow-up.
The Marketing Department develops and implements, in cooperation with the relevant departments, events, marketing and advertising strategies which promote membership in the Association, awareness and growth in the various Association programs.
The Marketing and Membership Assistant is responsible for processing new member applications and all correspondence related to new and returning members. Coordinate all work related to installment payment plan with members, Customer Relations and Finance Department. Support efforts to promote and grow membership, Association events, programs and services.
Some areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Data entry of new member applications and ensuring the accuracy of database records
- Coordinate communication of welcome emails and new member information
- Assist members, prospective members and the general public
- Must be thoroughly versed in membership benefits and Association By-Laws as they relate to membership
- Maintain dues installment payment plan participants and enroll new members when they sign up for this service; send enrollment information to Finance and follow up as needed
- Set up badges, tent cards and work registration and represent Association at bar related functions
- Work closely with Committee Membership, Finance, Customer Relations and Finance Department on membership issues
- Prepare prospect lists, send prospect emails and follow-up with prospect calls.
- Prepare materials and follow up for law school forums and professional development workshops
- Assist Customer Relations department at busy times to answer questions on the phone and in-person
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Associate level degree or higher, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6 months relevant work experience (internships will be acceptable)
- Self-motivated, able to assume responsibility and work autonomously in a professional manner
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong technical, reporting and data entry skills; computer and technology savvy
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, adherence to deadlines, and solid judgment
- A desire and ability to provide excellent customer service
- Work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Working Knowledge of CRM (iMIS a plus), Microsoft Access, or other email service provider is preferred
- Must be flexible to work some early mornings and evenings as needed for events
The City Bar currently offers a hybrid work environment. Candidates for this position will be expected to work in our offices located in the City Bar building in midtown Manhattan part of the time and to work remotely part of the time. The hybrid schedule is new and will remain subject to review and revision. The City Bar requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to entering our building. Additional information about this policy is available via Human Resources.
Starting salary for this role is in the low $40,000’s annually based on a 35 hour work week, plus additional pay for overtime. We provide a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off (vacation, personal, sick time, holidays including closing between Christmas and New Year’s day, day off for volunteer work, extra time off in summer), choice of medical plans (some offered at almost no charge to employee), dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, commuter benefits program, Employee Assistance Program, short-term/long-term disability insurance, employee discounts, and more!
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter explaining your interest along with your resume. To apply, please click on the following link:
We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. It is the policy of the Organization to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, the City Bar will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons due to their religious beliefs, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition or because the individual was a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking.