The City Bar will be closed on Monday, February 18, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
Job Opening: Attorney Referral Counselor (Bilingual/Spanish) - Full-time or Part-time
LAWYER-ATTORNEY REFERRAL COUNSELOR (Bilingual, Spanish)
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
Do you enjoy finding ways to help others who need legal assistance, but would rather not bring work home when your day is done? If so, this job’s for you! We are in the business of public service. For more than 70 years, we have made it our mission to help individuals and businesses find the right lawyer to meet their legal needs. Established in 1946, the New York City Bar Legal Referral Service (LRS) is the oldest lawyer referral service in New York State, and the first one in New York City approved by the American Bar Association.
Will consider full-time or part-time candidates for this opportunity. Option to work remotely may be considered after fully trained.
New York City Bar membership and OCA bi-annual registration fees are provided at no cost to LRS employees; free CLE options are available.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to high volume of calls and emails from the general public.
- Triage legal issues and direct clients to participating lawyers and other legal resources.
- Provide basic legal information to the public.
- Other duties, including legal research, public relations, marketing and public outreach, as assigned.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is essential!
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice law in New York State.
- Working knowledge of general legal procedures.
- At least one year of experience in civil law -- such as landlord/tenant law, labor/employment, family law, tort/negligence, workers comp, wills/trusts/estates, immigration, etc. – in a clinical, legal services, government or private law office environment preferred.
- Excellent phone manner, customer service and written/verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing challenging people preferred.
- Intermediate PC skills, including Microsoft Office.
Please send a cover letter with resume and salary expectations via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Attorney Referral Counselor in the subject line.
The New York City Bar Association is a proud equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. It is the policy of the NYC Bar to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.