The City Bar will be closed on Monday, January 20, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Job Listing: Events Associate (Continuing Legal Education Dept.) – Entry Level
Department: Programs Department
Reports to: Senior Director of Programs & Committee Engagement and Senior Manager of Customer Relations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
The Programs Department offers various types of programs for attorneys to update and continue their education in the law, as well as earn required Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) credit. The Programs Department is responsible for approximately 150 CLE programs and over 200 non-CLE programs each year, in addition to live webcasts and online/on demand programs. The Programs Department is committed to providing relevant, timely, high quality programs to both newly admitted and experienced attorneys, to serve the Bar’s committees, members and the bar-at-large. In addition to New York, we are accredited in California, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
The Events Associate role assists attorneys with all aspects of the coordination of CLE programs and non-CLE events.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
CLE Program and Event Coordination:
- Schedule and get approval for committee events (both CLE and non-CLE);
- Regularly update event spreadsheet;
- Send event intake forms and event marketing forms to committee contacts and following up as necessary;
- Post committee events on the website;
- Create monthly event calendars for review at monthly event meetings;
- Communicate with committees to ascertain catering, materials (i.e. handouts, tent cards), audio visual needs and attendance numbers and set deadlines for the receipt of information and follow up as necessary
- Work with the Manager of Conference Services to order food and provide set-up information to A/V Department and ensure set-up is handled appropriately for the program; Being present at the events as needed;
- Coordinate, collate and convert CLE program materials for reproduction, download access, and on-line viewing;
- Create sign-in sheets, evaluations and CLE certificates;
- Create and manage events in iMIS database; serve as liaison to the communications, marketing, finance and information technology staff to get event pages finalized and help meet any requests by committees in regards to their event (flyers, email blasts, etc.).
- Corresponding with program faculty;
- Obtaining copyright permission for articles submitted as necessary;
- Take RSVPs for faculty meetings and lunches;
- Creating and sending out thank you letters and CLE certificates to faculty;
- Ensuring that we are in compliance with the sponsorship agreements, for programs with sponsors;
- Assist with all aspects of customer service at CLE programs and events, including setting up the registration desk, processing walk-in registrations, monitoring webcast links for participant questions and technical issues, distributing course materials and CLE certificates, collecting evaluation forms, ensuring that attendees and faculty members sign in/out and ensuring that the rooms are properly set up; and
- Taking on additional responsibilities/special projects as needed including assisting with customer service calls
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience (internships acceptable)
- Outstanding communication (verbal and written) and proofreading skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proven ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, database programs, and must be technologically savvy;
- Top-notch customer service skills, both on the phone and in person;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team;
- Flexibility to work some early morning and evening hours.
Generous benefits offered including paid time off (including vacation/personal/sick/holidays/day off for volunteer work/extra days off in summer) medical, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, commuter benefits, Employee Assistance Program, employee discounts, and more!
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter including salary expectations and resume via e-mail to email@example.com and include Events Associate in the subject line.
It is the policy of the NYC Bar to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity and sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. The NYC Bar prohibits and will not tolerate any such discrimination or harassment. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, the NYC Bar will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.