The City Bar’s building is open on a limited basis, with access expected to increase gradually over the coming weeks and months. For the current building schedule, and for the latest on how the City Bar is addressing the pandemic, click here.
Job Listing: Committee Associate/Administrative Assistant
POSITION: Committee Associate/Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Programs and Committee Engagement
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students with 24,000 members. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Help advance the Association’s mission by supporting the work of the Association’s 150 committees
- Support Program Department including, the management of committee programming including booking programs, reviewing program content, and marketing
- Maintain organizational database for tracking programs
- Send event intake forms and event marketing forms to committee contacts and following up as necessary
- Post committee events on the website
- Create monthly event calendars for the City Bar Board and for review at monthly event meetings
- Communicate with committees to ascertain catering, materials (i.e. handouts, tent cards), audio visual needs and attendance numbers and set deadlines for the receipt of information and follow up as necessary
- Work with the Manager of Conference Services to order food and provide set-up information to A/V Department and ensure set-up is handled appropriately for the program; being present at the events as needed
- Work with Customer Relations to help ensure that program registrations and confirmations are processed and that event materials are distributed
- Create and manage events in iMIS database; serve as liaison to the communications, marketing, finance and information technology staff to get event pages finalized and help meet any requests by committees in regards to their event (flyers, email blasts, etc.)
- Corresponding with program faculty
- Ensure compliance with the sponsorship agreements for programs with sponsors
- Work closely with the New Lawyer Institute Committee to help manage and oversee special programming and events for new lawyers which includes planning, organizing and marketing events, as well as coordinating the mentor program
- Assume primary responsibility for special projects, including the coordination of certain annual awards programs and LL.M Reception
- Serve as an administrative liaison between the Association and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs NGO Branch
- Provide general administrative assistance to the Executive Director’s Office
- Screen and answer phone calls
- Work on various ad hoc projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate level degree or higher, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in an office setting (internships acceptable)
- Excellent communication (both written and oral), interpersonal, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and database experience; technologically savvy
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Strong attention to detail, able to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Strong customer service skills, both on the phone, via email and in person
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in nonprofit organizations
- Must be flexible to work some early mornings and evening hours, as required, for programs held before and after general work hours
The City Bar is currently working mostly remotely but expects a gradual return of staff to the City Bar building in midtown Manhattan over the course of this summer; candidates for this position must be available for in-person work at our office by September.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. We are not able to sponsor visas for this position.
Starting salary for this role is in the low $40’s (annualized) based on a 35 hour work week. We provide a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off (vacation, personal, sick time, holidays, day off for volunteer work), choice of medical plans (some offered at no charge to employee), dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, commuter benefits program, Employee Assistance Program, short-term/long-term disability insurance, employee discounts, and more!
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter explaining your interest along with your resume via email to email@example.com and include Committee Associate in the subject line. We are seeking candidates who can start toward the end of August.
We encourage diverse candidates to apply. It is the policy of the Organization to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity and sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, the City Bar will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.