The City Bar’s building, library and office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except for scheduled events, programs and meetings.
Director of Membership & Marketing
POSITION TITLE: Director of Membership & Marketing
DEPARTMENT: Membership & Marketing
POSITION REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
START DATE: Mid-December 2022
The New York City Bar Association (City Bar), founded in 1870, is a voluntary association of lawyers and law students. The City Bar’s mission is to equip and mobilize the legal profession to practice with excellence, promote reform of the law, and uphold the rule of law and access to justice in support of a fair society and the public interest in our community, our nation, and throughout the world.
The Membership/Marketing Department oversees the relationship with the New York City Bar Association’s 23,000 members and handles all strategic marketing efforts for maintaining and growing membership. Additionally, the department promotes the work of other departments, including Lawyer Referral Service (LRS), Continuing Legal Education (CLE), and the Small Law Firm Center, leading to higher revenue through increased clients, higher program attendance, and sponsorship revenue. The department is responsible for all member benefit relationships and sponsorships. Marketing & Membership is responsible for securing and maintaining strong relationships with the law school community and law firms (professional development directors and recruiters).
Leadership of the membership and marketing departments of the City Bar. Responsible for developing and implementing, in cooperation with the relevant departments, marketing and advertising strategies that promote membership in the Association, as well as member retention and engagement. Work closely with the Center for CLE, the Legal Referral Service, and 42 West 44 (FLIK) in-house catering to develop strategies to increase revenue and brand awareness. The position reports to the Executive Director of the City Bar while working closely with the senior management team and the City Bar President.
- Direct and lead the membership and marketing department currently 8 employees on the team.
- Responsible for developing strategy and overseeing the implementation of all member programming and services and the member renewal, recruitment, and retention process, including direct mail, email marketing, events, telemarketing, digital marketing, SEO/SEM, social media, and affinity programs.
- Manage outside relationships with our SEO agency and Fastcase (legal research member benefit).
- Manage online community for committee volunteers and members.
- Collaborate with member volunteers on educational programming, recruiting new members, and member benefits.
- Direct the Association’s marketing efforts for the Center for Continuing Legal Education, promoting more than 150 live and online programs and institutes.
- Generate non-dues revenue from advertising, sponsorships, royalties, and affinity partners.
- Work with the LRS team to promote and generate leads to drive revenue.
- Work with FLIK team to increase brand awareness and revenue for 42West44. This includes strategizing on marketing, pricing, and contract review.
- Collaborate to develop educational programming for members to improve communications and networking skills and to increase options for employment for our diverse membership.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with all aspects of the legal community, including the New York Law Journal’s Top 100 Law Firms and New York regional law schools.
- Collaborate with the Director of Customer Relations to communicate information about our programs and services and assist and support members/customers.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in non-profit management, professional services and/or related fields or communities of practice.
- Proven experience and success in business development or marketing; experience working in the legal field and in membership development strongly preferred.
- Superior communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate objectives, energize and inspire staff to achieve results and meet goals while creating a culture of collaboration within direct teams and across organizational groups, and build and maintain positive relationships.
- Strategic thinker who can identify emerging trends, markets, and new revenue streams with a proven ability to establish, build and sustain constituent relationships.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, take initiative, set priorities, and handle multiple projects efficiently and effectively. Demonstrated creativity, organizational ability, and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to make decisions in ambiguous situations, exercise strong judgment based on information and analysis in a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
The City Bar currently offers a hybrid work environment which will remain subject to review and revision.
We provide a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off (vacation, personal, sick time, holidays including closing between Christmas and New Year’s day, day off for volunteer work, extra time off in summer), choice of medical plans, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, commuter benefits program, Employee Assistance Program, short-term/long-term disability insurance, employee discounts, and more!
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. We are not able to sponsor visas for this position.
This position will be available beginning on mid-December 2022. For consideration, qualified applicants should submit a cover letter explaining your interest and your resume. To apply, please click on the following link:
We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. It is the policy of the Organization to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, the City Bar will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons due to their religious beliefs, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition or because the individual was a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking.