Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Legal Referral Service: the right call for the right lawyer


Fee Dispute Service

As a client who has hired a lawyer to handle a particular matter, you are a consumer of legal services. As in any consumer relationship, there may be times when you have a concern or complaint. If you have questions or complaints about an attorney referred to you by the LRS, please contact the This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

If there is a conflict with an LRS lawyer about the fees you may owe, you are entitled to request a binding fee arbitration in which the attorney is obligated to participate. In this situation a neutral party, known as an arbitrator, will listen to both sides of the fee dispute and decide who may owe what to whom. The arbitration decision can be enforced in court.

How Can I Make A Complaint About an Attorney I Found on My Own?

Attorney Licensing: If you wish to find out whether your attorney is in good standing and/or is licensed to practice law in New York State, you may call New York State Office of Court Administration at (212) 428-2800.

Lawyer/Client Disputes: You do have recourse if you feel there is a fee or other type of disagreement between you and a lawyer you found on your own. In the New York Metropolitan area, there are two Attorney Grievance Committees that handle such complaints, depending upon the location of your lawyer’s office. If your attorney practices in Manhattan or The Bronx, the number to call to file a complaint is (212) 401-0800. If your attorney practices in Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island, the number to call is (718) 923-6300. These committees are not affiliated with the Association of the Bar of the City of New York or any other bar association. If you would like information on filing a complaint on an attorney in another area, contact the New York Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection at 1-800-442-FUND or visit their website at

lrs soc