Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Ask the Experts

Q: I am a Florida attorney seeking to move to New York. What are my options for admission without having to take the Bar Exam?

A: The New York Board of Law Examiners is the body that governs admission of attorneys in New York State. Although New York State permits admission on motion, without examination, for applicants who have practiced for five of the preceding seven years, are admitted to practice in at least one reciprocal jurisdiction, and have graduated from an American Bar Association approved law school, Florida is not currently one of the reciprocal jurisdictions. Please see the New York Board of Law Examiners website at for a full list of reciprocal jurisdictions.


For more information on admission in New York we recommend you contact the New York Board of Law Examiners at (518) 452-8700.